The Italian Ministry of Education (MIUR) recently released the updated rules for the 2017 IMAT exam, reserved places, admissions, and related matters.
DISCLAIMER: The following translation was made for free, to the best of my abilities, with my best intentions and is provided as is without any guarantee of completeness, correctness, usefulness or anything else. You can check the source in Italian here.
- New Universities this year: Bologna, Turin, Siena (Not medicine, only English Dentistry)
- New test location in Barcelona, Spain; Location changes are marked with bold
- Exam will be written (not computer based as rumored)
- 60 questions (2 culture, 20 logic, 18 biology, 12 chemistry, 8 physics and math)
- 5 answer options; 1.5 points for correct answer, -0.4 for wrong, 0 points for no answer
- 100 minutes exam time
- 14 September exam date
- Online Enrollment for exam from 03 to 25 July 2017 (until 15:00) in one single central website for all Universities
- 20 points minimum rule stays only for EU candidates, falls for non-EU
- English Language Certificates are optional (can help in a rare case when two candidates get same imat score and compete on last position in list)
- Preparation books are listed here
Quick jump links:
Structure and content of the entrance examination for the degree course in medicine in English 2017
source: The Ministery of Education, University and Research
1. For the 2017/2018 academic year, admission of students to the degree course in Medicine and Surgery in English ( from now on “the course”) is based on the result of the IMAT test.
2. The available places, for enrollment to the course for Italian students and non-EU residents who reside in Italy, are allocated to every University according to the following table. Foreign students residing abroad have reserved places.
|University||EU (and non-EU citizens resident in Italy)||Non-EU candidates|
|Milan (IMS) Statale||34||16|
|Napoli “Luigi Vanvitelli” (aka. seconda U.)||8||52|
|Naples Federico II||15||10|
|Rome “La Sapienza”||35||10|
|Rome “Tor Vergata”||20||10|
Private Universities, (with much higher tuition fees) were also mentioned (EU/Non-EU): Milano Cattolica (20/30), Milano Humanitas (80/50). Also Siena started to offer an English-language Odontoiatry (Dentist) courses with 26 EU and 4 Non-EU places based on same IMAT results.
1. The entrance examination for the the course will be taken by both Italian and foreign candidates.
2. It shall be organized by the Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) which uses Cambridge Assessment.
3. The procedures for conducting the test are given in Appendix 1, which forms an integral part of this decree.
4. The admission test consists of 60 questions that have five response options. The candidate must identify the one correct answer, discarding the wrong, arbitrary or less probable answers.
Based on the curriculum in Annex A, the IMAT exam will contain: 2 questions of general culture, 20 of logical reasoning, 18 biology, 12 chemistry; 8 of physics and mathematics.
5. The admission test takes place on September 14, 2017 at the Italian universities, and foreign offices (see below). Registration for the test can be done from 03 July 2017 to 25 July 2017 at 15:00 (GMT +1) for all locations.
The duration of the IMAT test is 100 minutes.
On September 1, 2017, the exact addresses of the venues where the IMAT test will be held, including classroom names, will be published on the websites of the Ministry of Education and the universities.
6. The IMAT test will begin in several overseas locations as shown in the following table.
|Argentina||Buenos Aires||Buenos Aires Open Centre 1||
|Brazil||Sao Paolo||Winner Idiomas||
|China||Beijing||School of International Education, Beijing Foreign Studies University||
|France||Paris||British School of Paris||
|Spain||Barcelona||Exams Catalunya S.L||
|Greece||Athens||Hellenic English Council||
|India||Haryana||Planet EDU – ExtraExams||
UTC + 5.30
|Israel||Tel Aviv||British Council, Tel Aviv||
|Italy||Bari||Università degli Studi di Bari||
|Italy||Milan||Università degli Studi di Milano; and Milano-Biccoca||
|Italy||Naples||Università di Napoli Federico II||
|Italy||Naples||Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II; and Università degli Studi della Campania “Luigi Vanvitelli”||
|Italy||Pavia / Bologna / Torino /Siena||Università degli Studi di Pavia; and Bologna; Torino; Siena||
|Italy||Rome||Università degli Studi di Roma “Sapienza”||
|Italy||Rome||Università degli Studi di Roma “Tor Vergata”||
|Portugal||Lisbon||International House Lisbon||
|Qatar||Doha||British Council, Doha||
|Saudi Arabia||Jeddach||British Council, Jeddach||
|Spain||Barcelona||Exams Catalunya S.L.||
|United Arab Emirates||Dubai||British Council, Dubai||
|United Kingdom||London||Mobile testing solution LTD||
|USA||New York||International House New York||
1. All EU candidates have to reach a minimum score of 20 points in order to be inserted in the ranking list.
2. For the evaluation of the test, a maximum of 90 points may be given using the following criteria:
a) +1.5 points for each correct answer;
b) -0.4 (negative) points for each wrong answer;
c) 0 points for each not answered question ;
3. Cineca will form a single national list for EU students (including foreign residents that reside in Italy) according to the procedures in Annex 2 (see below). The ranking list for extra-EU foreign residents will be defined by the universities.
4. In case of a tie between two candidates in ranking, the following criteria apply to resolve the situation (see original paper in Italian).
5. The condition “suitable non-winner” (idoneo non vincitore) refers only to the selection procedure of current year: it grants you no rights regarding access to the course in following years.
1. The IMAT exam shall take into account the individual needs of students with disabilities.
2. Candidates diagnosed with specific learning disabilities (SLD), must present appropriate certification issued by no more than three years from accredited facilities in the country of origin. These students are granted up to 30% additional time.
3. Cambridge Assessment organizes the test in foreign sites and takes into account the situations of disability or SLD students.
Every candidate has to apply online to take the IMAT exam. The online application is done exclusively via the Universitaly website www.universitaly.it.
[See medschool.it’s youtube video guide for creating a new user.].
The online application will be active from June 3, 2017 until August 4 at 15:00 (GMT +1).
During the online application, the candidate will select a university preference order. This choice cannot be changed after July 25.
Alex is a graduate of Harvey Medical course in English, taught in Pavia University and the founder of MEDschool.it. He currently pursuits his carrier in Ophthalmology and ophthalmic gene therapy research in Germany.
Latest posts by Alex Ochakovski (Pavia) (see all)
- Official IMAT 2018 Directive released (English) - June 14, 2018
- URGENT Deadlines for pre-application to several English medical schools in 2018 - April 8, 2018
- The official date for the 2018 IMAT is out! - March 30, 2018