Quick facts about the IMAT
- Multiple choice test only
- 60 Questions (20 logic and critical thinking, 2 culture,18 biology, 12 chemistry, 8 physics and math)
- 5 possible answers, one correct
- 100 minutes to solve
- Negative scoring: +1.5 point for correct answer, 0 for no answer, -0,4 points for wrong answer (guessing)
- No calculators, no periodic table are given or allowed
- Maximum possible mark 90 points
- Minimal score for admission (varies according to demand): approx. 37 points
- Cost: GBP 105 or EUR 120 or USD 164
- Test is held once per year and valid for all public medical schools in English in Italy, just for the same year
- Test date: usually in September, exact date is released 2-3 months ahead.
- Places: IMAT can be taken in most major cities (NY, Dubai, London, Tel-aviv, Athens, Barcelona, etc)
All past IMAT papers can be downloaded as PDF here
How to prepare for IMAT
There are several ways to prepare for the IMAT for you to consider.
1 Classroom IMAT courses for people who could benefit from a fully-immersive, structured frontal courses in a small group of like-minded people guided by experienced tutors. Especially suitable for those who have no or only limited previous knowledge of one or more exam topics.
2 IMAT books For highly self-disciplined and self-motivated people who like to study alone or as a supplement to other courses and resources.
3 Online IMAT courses to learn in an interactive, self-paced manner with video courses online.
Alex is a graduate of Harvey Medical course in English, taught in Pavia University and the founder of MEDschool.it. He currently pursuits his carrier in Ophthalmology and ophthalmic gene therapy research in Germany.
Latest posts by Alex Ochakovski (Pavia) (see all)
- 3 practical ways to finance yourself as a medical student in Italy (and how to prepare for it in advance). - January 26, 2018
- The complete guide to being married to a medical student - January 25, 2018
- 7 things top achievers do when preparing for a test - January 19, 2018