Luckily the Italian Ministry of Education releases the old IMAT tests and therefore you can use those as a sample test and also to have a better idea what and how is being asked.
Use our FREE IMAT Simulator
- Solve any IMAT paper from 2011-2017
- Full analysis of your performance
- Correct answer keys and IMAT score calculation included
- Save your results for future review
- Simulation under realistic time pressure conditions
- Completely FREE
Download all previous IMAT papers
with answers (2011-2018) as one convenient ZIP file
(.zip archive file: 14 Mb)
- IMAT 2018: Click here to download IMAT 2018 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2017: Click here to download IMAT 2017 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2016: Click here to download IMAT 2016 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2015: Click here to download IMAT 2015 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2014: Click here to download IMAT 2014 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2013: Click here to download IMAT 2013 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2012: Click here to download IMAT 2012 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2011: Click here to download IMAT 2011 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
Next we’ll analyze what kind of questions were presented in this exam and see how that should affect your preparation strategy.
First Part: General Knowledge and Logical Reasoning – 22
As seen in the IMAT exam topics list, this section contains mainly logical problems, text analysis and graphs/tables interpretation questions. Until 2018 this part contained 2 questions which can be considered “General knowledge” (EU Politics, History) which are supposedly going to increase to a whopping 12 in 2019. This piece of news is not yet 100% official, you can take a look at our blog post discussing this change.
By the way, the number of the “General knowledge” questions was also the biggest difference between the Italian and English versions of the test. In the Italian medical admission test, the 12 GK questions change has already been confirmed by the Ministry of Education.
Second Part: Scientific knowledge – 38
This part is the one in which your preparation will play a crucial role. The 4 scientific topics are historically unequally divided.
This means that you will probably concentrate most of your time and effort on the first two topics (Biology and Chemistry) although it might be a smart move to go over Math because it might be helpful also in the problem solving section. If you don’t have any background in Physics it might not be wise to spend time on it because there are often no more than 6 questions about it in the whole exam (60 questions).
This section tends to be the most demanding because the questions require good understanding in several fields. In 2011 most questions were on Genetics and Biochemistry, while from 2012 there was a more equal distribution into the 4 major topics –
Cellular biology, Biochemistry, Genetics and Physiology. Which are covered in the IMAT books that we recommended here
As you can expect, many students in this field have some passion for Biology and probably had some previous experience with this topic in high shool, which is anticipated by the test writers and therefore these questions there require a much more profound preparation.
Also a pretty difficult part with wide range of topics. Didn’t seem to change much between the years.
Although it’s a small part, it seems to be relatively stable between the different years. You will always find some simple questions in Geometry, Statistics/Probability, equations and trigonometry – so it might be worth it to give a quick look over to win some easy 2-3 points.
This section also was left almost the same. In 2011 there were more basic physics questions than in 2012. Anyway you can always find at least one Electricity question, and 1-2 questions regarding mechanics and thermodynamics as well.
In conclusion it seems that the IMAT in 2012 was adjusted a bit, the questions appeared in a more grouped way in the first section, so that you didn’t have to jump from text to logic back and forward when following the normal order of questions. The General knowledge part will be brought back in 2019 most likely. was removed completely and the questions in biology were more equally distributed between the major fields.
- IMAT Books and tips
- If you want to share your ideas about the test or ask questions go to our Facebook page
- Remember to subscribe to our newsletter in order to keep up with the latest news
- IMAT topics in detail
Alex is a graduate of Harvey Medical course in English, taught in Pavia University and the founder of MEDschool.it. He currently pursuits his carrier in Ophthalmology and ophthalmic gene therapy research in Germany.
Latest posts by Alex Ochakovski (Pavia) (see all)
- Official IMAT 2018 Directive released (English) - June 14, 2018
- URGENT Deadlines for pre-application to several English medical schools in 2018 - April 8, 2018
- The official date for the 2018 IMAT is out! - March 30, 2018