Luckily the Italian Ministry of Education releases the old IMAT tests so that you could use those as a sample test and also have a better idea of the IMAT test. We’ve listed all the links to past IMAT papers below and even packaged the PDFs in a single Zip file for your convenience.
Try our IMAT Test Simulator
- Take any past IMAT paper online
- Practice on tons of extra IMAT-style questions
- Measure & improve your IMAT score & performance
- Learn to solve any past IMAT question via detailed solution explanations
- Practice anywhere, even on the go.
Previous IMAT exams: the complete list
with answers (2011-2020) as one convenient ZIP file
(.zip archive file: 14 Mb)
- IMAT 2020: Click here to download IMAT 2020 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2019: Click here to download IMAT 2019 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2018: Click here to download IMAT 2018 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2017: Click here to download IMAT 2017 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2016: Click here to download IMAT 2016 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2015: Click here to download IMAT 2015 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2014: Click here to download IMAT 2014 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2013: Click here to download IMAT 2013 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2012: Click here to download IMAT 2012 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
- IMAT 2011: Click here to download IMAT 2011 exam in pdf (answer key PDF)
Next, we’ll analyze what kind of questions were presented in this exam and see how that should affect your preparation strategy.
First Part: General Knowledge and Logical Reasoning – 22
Logical Reasoning (10)
As seen in the IMAT exam topics list, this section contains mainly logical problems, text analysis, and graphs/tables interpretation questions.
General Knowledge (12)
Until 2018 this part contained 2 questions that can be considered “General knowledge” (EU Politics, History) which were increased to a whopping 12 questions in 2019 and stayed the same in 2020.
Second Part: Scientific knowledge – 38
This part is the one in which your preparation will play a crucial role. The 4 scientific topics are historically unequally divided.
This means that you will probably concentrate most of your time and effort on the first two topics (Biology and Chemistry) although it might be a smart move to go over Math because it might be helpful also in the problem-solving section. If you don’t have any background in Physics it might not be wise to spend time on it because there are often no more than 6 questions about it in the whole exam (60 questions).
This section tends to be the most demanding because the questions require a good understanding of several fields. Back in 2011 when the first IMAT took place, most questions were on Genetics and Biochemistry, while from 2012 there was a more equal distribution into the 4 major topics –
Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, and Physiology. Which are covered in the IMAT books that we recommended here
As you can expect, many students in this field have some passion for Biology and probably had some previous experience with this topic in high school, which is anticipated by the test writers and therefore these questions there require a much more profound preparation.
Also a pretty difficult part with a wide range of topics. Didn’t seem to change much between the years.
Although it’s a small part, it seems to be relatively stable between the different years. You will always find some simple questions in Geometry, Statistics/Probability, equations, and trigonometry – so it might be worth it to give a quick look over to win some easy 2-3 points.
This section also was left almost the same. You can always find at least one Electricity question, and 1-2 questions regarding mechanics and Thermodynamics as well. If mastered, this section also provides a good opportunity to secure 4 questions.
In conclusion, with exception of the major elevation of General Knowledge questions for the expense of reduced Logical Reasoning section, no major changes took place in recent years. Biology questions tend to keep diverse in topic and require rather detailed knowledge. For the Chemistry section, a good overall understanding of the chemical concepts and their application is needed. Maths and Physics may look intimidating at first but are solid gold when it comes to securing easy points once you learn to solve them, as they tend to not vary much through the years.
- IMAT Books and tips
- If you want to share your ideas about the test or ask questions go to our Facebook page
- Remember to subscribe to our newsletter in order to keep up with the latest news
- IMAT topics in detail
- Non-EU Admission Call for Humanitas Medical School in Milan - April 20, 2020
- IMAT 2020 & Coronavirus official update - April 13, 2020
- IMAT 2020 test day announced - March 11, 2020