Study medicine in Italy
International medical schools
Since 2009, Italian public universities have been opening English-language MD programs. More than 13 public medical schools offer English-taught MBBS degrees. These are the universities of Bari, Bologna, Campania Luigi Vanvitelli, Messina, Milan, Milan-Bicocca, Naples Federico II, Padua, Pavia, Parma, Rome La Sapienza, Rome Tor Vergata, and Turin. These English-language medical schools are among the most internationally diverse, academically rigorous, and inexpensive in the world, and are excellent preparation for residency, research, and clinical work in Europe and beyond.
With subsidized tuition fees that range between 200 and 4000 euros per year for European as well as non-Europeans, obtaining a Western-European-level medical education has never been so accessible.
Are you new here? Welcome!
Feel free to start reading the top reasons to study in Italy below, and have a look at our videos, too.
Top ranked Universities to Study Medicine in Italy
Those are the top ranked medical schools in English in Italy:
- University of Milan-Biccoca
- University of Pavia: Harvey course
- University of Bologna
- University of Milano-Statale
- University of Turin
Compare all medical schools in Italy: ranks, tuition fees, courses, minimal admissions scores and more…
Want to learn more?
8 good reasons to study medicine in Italy
1. Admissions You will take just ONE admission exam, in English (the IMAT), that is held in more than 20 cities around the globe. No interviews, No high school GPA , No recommendation letters required. Actually, you won’t even have to fly to Italy until you know you’re in. The admission test costs around 120 euros and is held entirely in English.
2. Costs The average tuition fee is around 1200 euros/YEAR and living expenses can be as low as 600 euros/month including accommodation. This is far less then it would cost you in the US, UK, or eastern Europe. Scholarships and work possibilities are available also for foreign students.
3. English taught lectures Books, notes, and all exams will be in a language you can understand from day 1. Italian courses are also offered in order to help your daily life, without time pressure.
4. Reputable universities Several of the universities have 500+ years of experience in teaching medicine.
Click to unfold more reasons below»
5. European MD degree Your degree will allow you to specialize and practice all around Europe, including the UK. The studies are recognized also in USA for the USMLE exam.
6. Culture If you’re spending six years abroad, why not do it in a beautiful country with great food, customs, and people, in the middle of Europe? You will be surrounded by the sea, the Alps, and breathtaking lakes in the north that you won’t regret visiting. See for yourself why they call it la dolce vita.
7. Student exchange programs Spend a semester or a year in a partner university in Europe, doing all the exams and clinical work that a local student would do, and get accredited for them as well. Some universities like Pavia also offer exchanges with the USA.
8. Reserved spots Extra places are sometimes reserved for non-European candidates, making the chances for them even better.
Latest Blog posts
IMAT 2022 official test date is released
IMAT 2022's test date is officially released by the Italian Ministry of Education. Sitting the IMAT is the only determinant for candidate selection to enter a medical school in Italy. If you want to apply for Medicine in English or Dentistry in Italy...
How to choose a medical school: 11 factors to consider
There are a variety of English-taught medical schools in Italy. All having their pros and cons, how should you pick which one you want the most? Are there some factors that are more important than others when making your decision? Here's a deep dive into what...
IMAT test day: all you need to know
After months of preparation, the time has come - the IMAT is only a few days away. At the finish line, we’re here to give you an extra boost: a checklist of what to bring with you, tips on how to organize your trip to the test center, and a peek of what...
COVID Green Pass needed to sit IMAT 2021 in any test center in Italy!
As of August 6th, 2021, all public gatherings, events, and competitions in Italy can only be attended if in possession of “Certificazione Verde” or a Green Pass. The International Medical Admission Test is the entrance exam for all public medical schools in...
How to get the Declaration of Value (DOV) or CIMEA for medical school in Italy
There are two absolutely crucial elements for a successful admission in Italy: passing the IMAT with a score high enough and preparing all the documents within the deadlines. And one of the most important documents, that both Eu and Non-Eu candidates...
Timing is everything: why do your IMAT registration ASAP?
For Every IMAT taker, the closer the exam date draws, the more vital is every step taken in terms of preparation and registering for the exam, and securing a place in the competition. And there are a couple of steps to take, where time is of the essence. One of...
Pre-registration June and July deadlines not to miss
There are a couple of pre-registration deadlines nearing relevant to both Eu or Non-Eu candidates and there is a lot to lose if you miss them. Three Universities (Turin, Pavia, and Messina) require students to pre-register (apply) directly on their website. If...
Student perspective: studying in Padova (with Kad)
What makes one med course different from the others? Many of us who took a leap of faith and moved to a different country to pursue the dream of becoming a doctor, have faced a sneaky truth: you really, really don’t know what you’re getting at until you start living...
IMAT 2021 official test date released
The IMAT test date is out! The Italian Ministry of Education (MIUR) released the official entrance exam date only days ago. Sitting the IMAT (International Medical Admission Test) is a necessary step you need to take in order to get admitted to any of the public...
Non-EU Admission Call for Humanitas Medical School in Milan
Humanitas University second round registration for medicine for Non-EU applicants is open! Last 10 places for Non-EU applicants are available. Register for Humanitas IMAT (HUMAT) and get into their world-class degree course in Medicine and Surgery, taught exclusively...
- Non-EU Admission Call for Humanitas Medical School in Milan - April 20, 2020
- IMAT 2020 & Coronavirus official update - April 13, 2020
- IMAT 2020 test day announced - March 11, 2020